Friday, January 08, 2010

Where to start?

I was a cigarette smoker for years. About 14-15 years or so ago I discovered the pipe. I bought a CAO Meerschaum and some tobacco from Smoky's in Knoxville. I smoked that baby until I broke the tenon, and then put it away.

Over the years I put the cigarettes down, picked them up, put them down, started smoking cigars (still do on occasion) and then came back to the pipe fold. I'd forgotten how relaxing a good pipe can be. You're forced to stop and take your time with a pipe. Too fast and it gurgles, or it gets really hot or you get a bad case of tongue bite.

I still will grab a cigarette every once in a while, usually when at work and stressed, or when out at a bar/party and can't smoke a pipe/cigar. But my passion has become the pipe. I love a good cigar when hanging out at the B&M with my friends. But I'm in love with pipe design, tobacco blending, the history, the culture and everything else that goes along with it.

I'm sitting here smoking a new pipe. A Peterson Aran smooth 1/4 bent (my first P-Lip Pete), destined to be my English tobacco pipe. I bought it at Smoky's along with a couple of ounces each of their two English blends. This one is packed with English #1, a nice, spicy, not overly aromatic blend. A fine, dry, cool smoke. I think I'm going to like this English adventure.

No comments: